Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Thoughts after day 3 of VBS

Hola a todos!

Today is day three of VBS. Each day continues to get better in terms of interacting with the kids as well as the kids really getting into the songs, games and crafts.

Today’s drama was of the last supper, and then Jesus being arrested and crucified afterwards. Crafts was a more fun one today, with kids making pipe cleaner glasses and paper moustaches, and games was a circular version of green light, red light. When I get within range of better Internet, I hope to upload a summary of photos from our time here in Huixquilucan. 



We had a lunch of rice with fried plantanas (plantains), tortillas with the most amazing meat and cheese (and optional toppings of guacamole and this super spicy sauce) and … mangoes!!! I wish someone would have had a camera to capture my face when I found out we were having mangoes, but this quote from Kevin should be sufficient for the taste of the mangoes and my excitement: “Look at Megan’s face, this is what joy looks like!”

After lunch, we had some down time. A soccer tournament between the locals and team members may or may not have taken place, (guess who won) and then a massive rainstorm with some thunder broke out, sending us inside for a team meeting to prepare for VBS. We had a late supper of pancakes, followed by a team meeting and worship session before turning our lights out for the night.

The students and Lyndi have been working very hard on a drime (a drama without words) to show the resurrection story tomorrow at VBS, so please pray for us as we present the gospel message to the kids tomorrow. This is not something Satan wants us to do, so prayers for spiritual protection as well as kids being open and free of distraction to the message would be much appreciated.

As always, please pray for the team’s health, as there are a few people battling colds and a couple people who aren’t reacting too well to the food. However, it doesn’t seem like more people are getting sick or that people are getting increasingly worse, so gracias a Dios (thanks to God) for that!

Again, thank you so much for reading, and thank you to those who have been commenting! Even one line to say hi to someone on the team is so encouraging and puts a smile on our faces!

(And by the way Christine, I am loving your comments to me (and everyone else) :) Know that I am reading them and loving every word. Thanks again for having me do this :) )

So, enough from me. Terry asked the question to all team members: what are your first impressions of your first few days in Mexico? Here are their responses — first, from the newcomers:

Kevin:
The one thing I found really cool is that even for those of us who know very little Spanish, we were able to communicate with the kids and the families through a single word or two or through actions, and you really get the idea that even though we can’t communicate with each other as friends or family usually would, we are really one family of God and that language barriers is not a barrier to God or to God’s love.

Jennifer:
I didn’t experience much culture shock, and was able to adapt easily. I was able to communicate with the children at VBS more through actions and playing games, since I know very little Spanish.

Rakel:
Mexico is a beautiful country! The hosts have been so loving and caring, and the children are full of joy. This trip has allowed me to build and strengthen many relationships. 

Tyler:
It is awesome to see how the kids and locals react so good to our VBS. And through that it is clear how we are impacting them. Their joy is contagious.

Michelle:
The first day of VBS was hard because I didn’t know a lot of Spanish so I couldn’t communicate. Now that is day 3, I feel so happy to be playing with the kids. The kids are having so much fun with the games, crafts and songs. It makes me feel so happy to see the kids having fun.

Clara:
In the short three days we’ve been here, I’ve learned that Mexico is bright, bold, colourful, beautiful, warm, chaotic, inviting, and exciting. It has been such a positive reminder of how extravagant and exciting God’s love is.

Sam:
The open, unconditional love and hospitality the locals have shown us has been amazing. Hearing that we are actually having an effect on the children is encouraging.

Daniel: 
In Canada, houses are grey, white, brown, or dark shades. Here the houses are blue, orange, red, yellow, green, purple, and pink, which is classy!

Ben:
I love being able to speak just enough Spanish to communicate but not enough to have to stop guessing. It has been awesome so far.

Tuviere:
The incredible love bestowed on us by the Mexicans is truly astounding. I feel so well taken care of, their love is a constant in this new environment.

Now, from the returnees:

Emily:
Once again I was struck by how the people here love. They welcome us with open arms and love on us unconditionally. It has been beautiful to see and experience.

Bailey:
The kids in VBS are so cute and learn our games and songs so fast! God’s love can be seen in these kids and the locals as they accept our little Spanish phrases and graciously provide amazing hospitality. 

Cassie: 
I feel so blessed to be back in Mexico! The love and hospitality we have re sieved from the locals is amazing. Because I know so little Spanish, communicating with the kids has been an adventure :) But none the less fun. God is so powerful and always present, praise Him!! 

Austin:
I’m pleasantly surprised as to how many locals remembered my name. As usual, the food is incredible and interacting with the kids at the VBS was much easier than expected.

Kyle:
Every day we are blessed with the opportunity to use our giftings — as a team — to minster to the most amazing children. God is very present, evident, and is developing students and leaders alike. 

David:
Interacting with the kids so far this week has been incredible. Even though we can’t understand each other, playing with them is so much fun! Also it’s good to see all the locals again! 

Lyndi: 
I love the family I have here. This place has impacted me so much over the years. We’re always told we’ll need to be flexible with our schedule day-to-day, but I’ve noticed a fairly consistent routine: pray, love, laugh, eat amazing Mexican food, encourage, worship, sleep, repeat — throw in a thunderstorm too! This routine sits well with me. Each day, I look forward to the ways I’ll get to see God moving. It’s so satisfying. 

Dave: 
It is so good to be with family here! I love these people so much hand they are so good to us. I love being able to share this place with the team. God is good!

Alex:
It is such a blessing to be back here in Mexico - the people here mean so much to me and it is incredible to share life with them once again. I’ve loved seeing God work throughout the students here and come to know and love people in their communities here.

And this from Clara, quoting something Terry had told her a while ago at supper:
“The students should be happy, even if they only get water and are sent to bed. This is a missions trip!”
Another gem, Terry talking to Pastor Jaime:
“I blend in, look how dark my skin is!” (to which Jaime responded, “No, no, no,” and added that Terry was much too tall.)

Honestly though, both Terry and Dave have been doing an amazing job at leading, and I couldn’t imagine this trip without them. Their direction, experience, wisdom and insight have been invaluable to us all!

And finally, from me, your friendly local photojournalist, currently situated in Mexico, Megan:

I may be writing this blog, but I cannot put into words how much this place and the people mean to me. It feels like I never left — being able to pick right back up and have our old jokes with the locals is not only fun, but means so much more to me than I could possibly ever write. My favourite part, by far, is the down time with the locals in the afternoons after VBS. As I sit right now writing this blog, I’m listening to a couple locals and Kevin sing simultaneously in English and Spanish, How Great is Our God. I love being able to see my friends be able to experience what I hold so dearly, and be able to experience it myself again. I think I’ll stop now, because I could go on for pages. How great is our God indeed. 

9 comments:

  1. Glad that Michelle is having a good time with the kids! And thanks to Megan for the excellent updates. You should be a journalist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear the daily updates. Praying always for the team. God is with you. Love Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you guys...you have me in tears :) It’s just SO good to hear from each of you. To know that you are well, and that you are serving and that you are learning and growing....to hear that you love a country and people that I love so much. To hear that you’re getting a better picture of how great and big God is. I am overjoyed. :) I’m just so crazy proud of you too - for stepping into the unknown and trusting God to meet you there.

    And Mangoes MEGAN! I’d have been right there with you in the joy. There’s just nothing like a Mexican mango!

    And I LOVE seeing those kids with the moustaches I cut out on my machine! EEE Does my heart good. They did such a good job with the glasses too. Yay for lots of pipe cleaners!

    I am praying for the drime tomorrow. I know how much it means, and how much work you’ve put into it Lyndi and team. I am praying that’s truth and the power of his resurrection goes forth and impacts these kids and families....and each of you!

    Boo I love you (sorry had to use your nickname at least once). I’m so proud of how you’re using your Spanish and even translating for Dad! I know that it will continue an even deeper and richer relationship for you with the Mexicans and the Becerras. I hear your joy in how their love impacts you.

    Terry I know that you sleep little and think lots while you’re there. I know that taking care of everyone and all the situations weighs heavily on you...and I pray that as each day goes forward you can find places of rest and lay all your cares at His feet. I know He is sufficient for you. We’re doing well here. You’d be proud of your boys.

    Praying for all of you many times a day. My heart is that this time will be life changing for you!

    Love richly! Much love from me. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to get your daily updates of the activities, accomplishments, challenges, and tastes. What an awesome experience!! You likely have been way too busy to miss home. Thank you all so much for giving us a personal touch, sharing your thoughts on your time in Mexico thus far. So nice to hear!

    We are praying for the M3 team - for health, comfort and rest, as well as opportunity for adventure and growth. And for a miracle - that the dogs and roosters will take a night off so you can all have a quiet night to sleep. We pray that God will equip you as He sees fit, as you touch the lives of the people of Mexico.

    Ty - Zach says to say hi, and that he misses playing on the tramp with you. And mom says she hopes you are using your Spanish every chance you get.

    Have lots of fun! Kendal, Colette and Zach

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO glad to read these and experience this through your words Megan. Excited for you that your #s are up from the beginning of the week for vbs. Continue your good work and know that God is protecting you. Take care and be healthy. We are curious as to Brannon's thoughts on Terry's question to each person - didn't see that one on the list. Love to all. Guenette's ( Leah misses you too & Jennifer !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brannon? Brannon who? I don't think we had a Brannon get off the plane in Mexico City. Just kidding. Sorry Dave & Barb. Brannon did write and it will be added to our next update.

      Delete
  6. Awesome. We are praying for you from Elgin Iowa.
    Ignacio

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you today as you present the resurrection story to the kids. May you make a difference in the life of every person you come in contact with during this week, as you likely will be receiving much love in return. ...and I was just saying at dinner last night, "I wonder if Megan has had a mango yet...". Miss you and Austin lots.

    Love,
    Maman & Papa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, reading the updates brings back so many memories, especially of how proud I was of all of you on the team last time as I watched God's love pour through you. As I read, I can picture it happening again. Praise God for His work in and through all of your lives.
    Say hi to Pastor Jaime and his family from me.
    Praying for you all,
    Pastor Lyle

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a real encouragment to the team! Thank you for your support and prayers!