Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A day of VBS and a trip to the market

Hola a todos! Your local photojournalist here, Megan!

Today was our second day of VBS. We had almost 50 kids today! The games, crafts and drama all went well, Alex doing a great job subbing in for Lyndi at the beginning and end of VBS. 

Before getting to some more entries from team members, I wanted to hopefully describe something else we did today. After lunch, we had a bit of free time and VBS prep, and then walked to the market.


The market is filled with people of all ages — crying babies, kids running around, teens chatting, young adults making out in the middle of the crowded aisles, seniors, ect. ect. ect. As you walk underneath the bright red tarps, you inhale strong scents of gas, sewage, food, incense, new shoes and strawberry deodorant. People walk through the aisles, calling out what they are selling and holding out their products right up in your face. There are people on either side behind tables, selling everything from lingerie, clothing, shoes, fruit, meat with flies buzzing around, personal hygiene items, jewellery, fake Toms shoes (Mike, this one is for you!), car parts, shoes so worn they are smashed up and have holes in them, entire tables full of TV remotes, broken phones, dolls, action figures and toys … I could fill pages full of all the stuff we saw. Some clothing was neatly displayed in racks, and other items were spread out over two large blankets on the ground. I even saw a bowl of pop tabs and another bowl full of broken cell phones. Like Terry said, what we would give to the landfill, these people will sell. 

It was a fascinating walk, and many of the team members returned with mangoes and pomegranates!

There are many hand clapping games to be learned!

Jenn helping with crafts!

Who wants to follow Jesus? 

More crafts!

Alex helping with crafts!

DELICIOUS soup at lunch.

Look, Maman! Veggies!! And chicken, guacamole (I've had some every day. I have no words for how good it is.) and amazing hot tortillas. 

At the market!


Alright, and without further ado ... here are some blog posts! 

Austin:
Q: Why did you want to come back to Mexico? 
A: The people (and food) here are incredible. I had great experiences here last trip.
Q: What is your favourite part about being here?
A: I have definitely gotten to know other team members much more and leading the VBS's have been lots of fun. 
Q: How have you seen growth in yourself since your last time here?
A: I think I've learned to be more dependant on God since last trip. 

Cassie:
I wanted to come back to Mexico because on the last trip we got to meet and serve some awesome people who showed us amazing, selfless hospitality. The last trip God revealed and challenged me with a lot of things and I couldn’t imagine not coming back. It’s so hard to pick a favourite part, so I’ll list three: food, children and worship. The food is mouth watering delicious, guacamole is heavenly. I adore the smiles and hugs from the children, they will always have a place in my heart. And last but not least, the worship that we had at the church Sunday service was so passionate and exciting, I loved it! I have much more confidence to approach the children at the VBS and to sometimes look foolish when doing actions to the songs for them. I know about the same amount of Spanish as I did my 

last time here, but I’m interacting much more with the locals which I’m very happy about. 

Clara:
I was so pleasantly surprised at the depth of YMT's and McKernan's ties to the locals here. I know people were excited to return and I'd heard that the locals loved us Canadians, but I underestimated the depth of the love and sense of "familia" there is amongst us. And I have to say that my favourite part of this trip has been getting to see our youth students step out in faith and respond to God's call. All of them have grown and challenged themselves in so many different ways — whether it's through sharing testimonies, squishing bugs, volunteering to be part of a drama, trying new foods, and interacting with people in a whole new culture — all of them have been so engaged and willing to serve! I've learned the value of affirmation as our team keeps encouraging each other to be the best they can be and holds each other accountable. The love from the locals has also been such an encouragement and has given all of us much energy and passion to serve. 

Rakel:
Mexico has been a wonderful experience. I have loved getting to experience a different culture, and the food here has been amazing. One thing that has surprised me is the joy the children have here. They can have so much fun with just a soccer ball or playing hand clapping games. It has been such a blessing to see this. One thing God has been teaching me is to trust Him. I was worried about going on this trip because it is completely out of my comfort zone; however, this trip has been a great opportunity to serve and build relationships with the locals and the team. God has a plan, and we just need to trust Him.

1 comment:

  1. Rakel, I am so encouraged to hear you say that. You have been on my heart often knowing that this trip was a risk - and I’m so grateful to hear that you are seeing what trusting God brings to your life!

    Clara I know that you are a wonderful cheerleader and sounding board for our students. They are braver because of your encouragment. I am so glad you are being loved richly too. Can’t wait to hear more when you come home.

    Cassie...I love your heart as a worshipper and how you are teaching little ones how to worship - even with actions with a sense of surrender to God. Love on lady!

    Austin - it was so good to see you playing on the worship team in the pictures. I know that you have so much to offer and also learn and gain from those richer relationships you are building. Step out even further when He calls you Austin!

    So glad you got to experience a market :) Another significant cultural event for each of you!

    I pray that as you step into the roles and responsibilities God is calling each of you into (I’m thinking of you especially Alex - as I know Lyndi has lost her voice) - (ok but I’m talking to each of you here)....step out with faith that God has placed this in front of you for a reason. These moments this trip are part of God design and lean right into His strength and trust Him! I believe in each of you!

    OH and PS...it’s so good to recognize some of the kids at VBS from 2 years ago. Ari especially up on the balcony!

    Hugs friends - you are impacting the world one act of service at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a real encouragment to the team! Thank you for your support and prayers!