Monday, July 28, 2014

Day one of week two done

Hola a todos, here is the last post for today. Sorry for the double post day, but as Christine said, (thanks, Christine!) last night was late, and I wanted to be able to separate the weekend with the first day of VBS.

So, as I was saying, today was our first day of week two of VBS. As a leader, I felt so proud of the students who jumped in the second the kids arrived (in between 30 and 40 today). Immediately after our team prayer, the students went outside with the kids and organized a game of pato, pato, ganzo (duck, duck, goose). After that, it was like clockwork as the kids were divided into three different groups, smoothly making the transition from crafts to drama to games.

It truly was a great start to the week!

Thank you all for reading and for commenting, as well as for your prayers. As Christine said, please pray for health, as there are team members with sore throats, colds and unhappy stomachs. There has been some more rest today, and no one has been getting worse, so please keep praying! 

One thing you can expect to see on the blog over the next few days are some entries from the team members! I’ll see if I can get in four a day until the trip is over, so here is the first batch:

Michelle:
My favourite part of Mexico so far has been the kids at VBS. They are so energetic and they make me smile. The food has surprised me in a good way. It has been fantastic. But what has surprised me the most is the culture. It is so different and it took me a while to get used to the way the people of Mexico live. I’ve learned that now matter where you are, God is always with you. I have seen God’s presence while being here. 

Sam:
My favourite part of Mexico has been seeing and experiencing the love the locals have for us. The most surprising part has been seeing how readily the locals love. I have never seen anything like it at home. I have felt that God is teaching me that I need to stop making excuses. He has been showing me that it is when I readily serve others that I am able to enjoy myself to the fullest.

David:
Q: Why did you want to come back to Mexico?
A: The food. Also the people. (The food part was a joke)
Q: What is your favourite part about being here, and how have you seen growth in yourself since your last time here?
A: I really love the sense of community that is formed between both of us as a team, and us and the locals. They really make us feel at home. I have found it much easier to adjust to the culture here this time around. I have also found myself more able to interact with the kids at VBS even with the language barrier. 

Bailey:
Q: What is your favourite part about being here?
A: The food! And creating relationships with the team, children and locals. 
Q: Why did you want to come back to Mexico, and how have you seen growth in yourself since your last time here?
A: Last time I went on the Mexico Missions I loved getting to know the children at VBS and experiencing incredible hospitality from the locals. I learnt so much about myself and about how God moves in people around the world. I am much more courageous when it comes to interacting with the VBS children and I have a betterish understanding of Spanish. 


And finally, without further ado, here are some photos from today! (Ps - shoutout to my maman and papa, who wrote a sweet comment for me. Love you lots!)

Jenn playing pato, pato, ganzo!

More pato, pato, ganzo.

Buds Daniel and Austin getting up to dash around the circle.

All the kids from the first day!

This little cutie is Marcos. I think I'm in love!

Game time!

5 comments:

  1. OH! I remember Marcos! Oh he’s still such a cutie!

    Jen, that is a beautiful picture of you playing pato pato ganzo...I love seeing your smile shine.

    And I love hearing from you students about how you’re being impacted. I love seeing your courage come out Bailey - you are so special. And Sam I am so excited to hear how God is challenging you. I so love your honesty! Michelle I knew once you would be with the kids you’d be great - but I love that you’re seeing God at work in you in another culture. David I know it’s so much more than the food :) God has gifted you in ways that translate beyond culture. I’m so glad to see you offering yourself to Him as you serve.

    Hugs to you all team. I know you’re tired and then it’s harder to give unselfishly. I pray that you’ll lean into God’s strength for you each day. Listen to His voice directing you to someone to speak a word of hope, or a word of challenge, or a hug. You are experiencing the kind of sacrificial love that Jesus gives you. I have always been struck by how our Mexican family has helped me see Jesus love for me in clearer ways. Hold on to these moments! They are part of God’s story for your life. What you are learning and experiencing here is supposed to impact your year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love each blog you write Megan. Keep them coming. You are doing a great job. So happy to hear Michelle is loving being with the kids. You have a special gift with kids, Michelle. God is using you and you are seeing that. Will continue to pray for those that aren't feeling well. May God give you strength. Love Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful to see youth and leaders taking joy in loving the kids in Mexico City. Remember that no act of love and kindness is insignificant, God is whispering his love to the children through every game of Pato Pato Gonzo and through every smile. -Jesse Boulianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. We look forward to your blogs Megan and enjoy it more when there are pictures so we can see how much this is impacting you by your smiling faces. Praying for your rest and needed health in your sore throats/ colds and stomachs. Looking forward to hearing the stories in person. Love to all, the Guenette's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are Jennifer, Monsa and Valentina back this year? I hope someone is bonding with them over the Biebs if they are! It is so worth it to build into those kids while you are there - some will have lasting impact on you and I pray you and Gods love will have lasting impact on them too! Also praying for healing for those under the weather. Let the others take care of you when you need it, it's okay to do that. Looking forward to more pictures and stories!! ~Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a real encouragment to the team! Thank you for your support and prayers!